Review 5# Glasgow Distillery 1770 Peated Release No.1
ABV: 46%
Matured in first fill ex-sherry and finished in virgin oak
Naturally coloured
Non Chill Filtered
Nose:
This is the second expression from the Glasgow Distillery’s 1770 line up, a youthful peated dram full of character and just begging to be picked apart. On the nose it is bright, sweet and fresh, citrus fruits such as orange is quite prominent on the nose. For me this comes across as an artificial orange note rather than a natural orange. The sherry influence or the heather peat give this dram somewhat of a perfume note. Due to its young nature it feels like the peat literally jumps out the glass and punches you like Mike Tyson would. With 50ppm (parts per million) and being such a young age (around 4 years old according to the representatives at the stall) it hasn’t spent the necessary time in a cask to round out these flavours leaving them really aggressive.
Palate:
More youthful spirit mouth feel, spicy on the tongue and the peat is just as strong on the palate as it is on the nose. An earthy peat, unlike the more savoury meat notes of an Ardbeg for example followed by the sweet sherry influence. The combination of the spicy, citrus and dried fruit reminds me of mulling spices and give a warming sensation throughout the dram. Burnt oak and vanilla which I would imagine is a gift from the virgin oak casks.
In review 50cl bottles still remain the devils work and for around £49 you would expect 70cl. I also think that for the price there are better peated whiskies out there, with Lavagulin 16, Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 all around the same price mark they are arguably a better dram for the price.
However we should endeavour to support and encourage the growth of local distilleries. I have high hopes for the Glasgow Distillery and think that their peated release no.1 is incredible promising, I would highly recommend picking up a bottle if you can to try for yourself.
Overall: 80/100
Disregarding the 50cl bottle this is a really solid whisky. Good sweet sherry influence with a strong punch of peat and a pleasant lingering aftertaste. I find that either the sherry finish or the heather peat gives a perfume note that I also find in Columbian or Costa Rican coffee that admittedly I’m not a massive fan of and that’s where it stumbles for me.

Comments
Post a Comment