Review #1 Ardbeg 10
Distillery: Ardbeg 10
Region: Islay/Scotland
ABV: 46%
Cask: Ex-Burbon/Mixed
Non Chill Filtered
![]() |
Nose:
Wow! Just from the spilled whisky on my hands I get an extraordinary peat smoke, unlike the campfire smoke I find in Lagavulin. It really reminds me of the smell of the old encyclopaedias my grandparents had in their old house, a real musty smell for a fairy young whisky. I struggled for a while to put my finger on the last smell and the light bulb finally lit up, smoked salmon, I assume it has something to do with the distillery being so close to the sea. I love the nose on this whisky.
In the glass the nose changes for me from time to time and I get the peatyness as well as the smell of new rubber. However from time to time I do pick up on the sweet smell of peaches, peach Schnapps to be exact. I'm always surprised when I find such a bright, vibrant note in such an aggressive whisky.
Taste:
I again get the taste of new rubber but also a yeasty note similar to the taste of a Rye bread perhaps? Salted crisps (chips for you yanks reading) definitely more Sea Salt by the way it dries the back of one's throat. I also find sweetness in the form of dried fruits, similar to the sweetness from a raisin.
Overall I think this is a very fine whisky indeed, a must have for lovers of big smokey, rich flavours and will definitely remain a staple in my collection.
Overall I'd rate this a 90/100. This is truly one of my favourite whiskies and if I could only drink one for the rest of my life - this very well could be the one!

Don’t forget to mention the cult... :) Cheers from your supporters in the Tribe.
ReplyDelete