Review #3 Ardbeg Uigeadail

ABV:54.2%

Distillery: Ardbeg

Non Chill Filtered

Region: Islay

E150a added

Oak and ex sherry cask

Nose:

On the first nose I am greeted strong alcohol, sweetness and peat smoke. Being bottled at cask strenght this whisky weighs in at a whopping 54.2%! Hit with an immediate dark sweetness that's fighting with the peat. Dark ripe fruits very prominent on the nose, definitely a bit sweeter than Ardbeg 10 on the nose and dare I say I think the sweetness comes across more than the 10? This is an intense interesting dram that has less of the traditional medicinal Islay note and tones the smokieness down compared to the 10.

Palate:

Silky mouth feel, warms the palet in a pleasant way, I find it slightly acidic and it gives the tingling sensation in the way that pineapple or a lime does with really nice bite on the finish that reminds you you're drinking Ardbeg. Such a rich whisky, definitely a dark chocolate or black coffee richness and to a certain extent. Salted Caramel notes give way to the smoke. This beast is absolutely off the charts, again I actually find this less smokey and meaty than the 10 with more . The smoke soon gives way to a honey/syrup like sweetness and actually reminds me a bit of when I used to drink coffee with syrup flavouring. This is quite a unique experience as the whisky is initially very intense on the palette, then eases off giving way to the deeper flavours. This is a perfect example of how sweet and savoury can marry together to produce something sensational.

I actually get a lot of the same mouth feel from the Uigeadail as I do from Brazilian coffee when I drink it black and actually find some fresh espresso notes on the finish. There is a distinct maltyness and oiliness from this dram which lingers for a solid minute after each sip. Lastly on the finish I get a liquorice/aniseed mixed with a marzipan flavour that lingers at the back of the tongue and on the exhale. I really enjoy the sweetness from this dram, although it is less intense than the 10 make no mistake that this is still Ardbeg! The finish is dry and long lasting, Uigeadail is the gift that keeps on giving.

Overall: 90/100

Overall this is a solid whisky and is more than worthy of being in the core collection. I thoroughly enjoy this dram and often find it difficult to choose between this and the 10. When I am looking for something a little calmer Uigeadail ticks all the boxes, less brine, less salt and more sweetness. Like mixing sweet and salty pop corn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review 5# Glasgow Distillery 1770 Peated Release No.1

Review #2 Lagavulin 16

Review #1 Ardbeg 10